About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Music Freak


As many of you know, I really enjoy art and I'm pretty good at it. But if there's one thing in life that I love more than art is music. I absolutely love music. Not like. Love, because there is so much that music can do besides sound pretty. Music has also inspired my art and helped me focus or, "get in the zone" if you will. I would totally persue music if I had any shred of musical talent (I took band in middle school...fail). So I guess that means I'm just stuck listening to music which I am perfectly fine with. It's fun to dance around your room like an idiot with a hairbrush microphone, or head-bang at your steering wheel. Have you ever found a song or songs that remind you of a certain place or person or experience in your life? I relate a lot of my best memories to songs that remind me of them. My friends and I have songs that are simply "ours", or they describe our relationships or they spark up a memory between us. Those songs are always my favorites, unless they remind me of a sad memory or of someone who isn't a part of my life anymore. The saddest part about that is they were songs I once really enjoyed, and I feel like I can't listen to them anymore without bringing back those memories I worked so hard to forget.

 

Not only is it fun to dance to and jam out in your car or have a private shower concert, but it's also therapeutic in a way. Really! Have you ever had a terrible day at school or work, or you just broke up with your boyfriend or girlfriend and you just want to vent but you don't know how to? As teenagers, we kind of use music to escape the real world when we're stressed or upset about something, and we focus on the melodies and the lyrics and it's calming, even when the music is very loud and crazy. I personally listen to loud, heavy, shredding guitar music when I'm angry, or sappy love songs when I'm depressed because they fit my mood to a point. Although, sometimes it's better to listen to songs opposite your mood so it'll help distract you and make you feel better. Honestly, song lyrics can express how I'm feeling better than my own mouth ever could. It's almost impossible not to find a song that doesn't express your feelings at any moment, which, I think, is pretty awesome. It's even been scientifically proven that music can help your mood!

 

Word count: 441

No comments:

Post a Comment