About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Art, It's What I Do


                Art is a big part of my life. It’s a lot of work, but it’s also a lot of fun and it’s therapeutic, in a way. If I’m sad, it’ll show up in my work; equally goes if I’m really happy or excited. I like showing people my pieces, not necessarily for comments and compliments, but I just enjoy showing people what I can do.  I’d like to say I’m best at drawing, but it’s very time consuming because I’m a perfectionist and it takes me a while. With drawing I feel like I can draw anything and anywhere I want. I enjoy drawing things from nature.  Sometimes I morph them so they don’t look so realistic, like in this tree drawing:
               
It may look difficult, but once you get in the zone with drawing it sort of flows out. I hadn’t planned on the Halloween Night theme at first, but I ended up with it. A lot of people say they “can’t draw”, but I think it’s because they don’t necessarily try. They tried maybe once and they came out with a stick figure, so they came up with the conclusion that they couldn’t draw anything. In my first drawing class, there were a few kids that said the same, and they came out drawing things like horses and self-portraits, literally. The classes will teach you the skills to be a good artist, whether it’s pencil or paint or anything else.

I also like to draw things more realistically, like these drawings of my sister, my puppy, and two babies.















I enjoyed art classes so much that I took drawing one other time, and ceramics three times. I don’t think I’m as good with clay as I am with drawing, but I have more fun with it. It’s a little more challenging for me because I can’t make nearly a s many things as I’m able to draw , so it pushes me as an artist.





The first is a vase that is shaped like a rose, and the other is a tissue-box cover that looks like a house which the smoke of the chimney being the tissues. Both were fun to make yet challenging to construct at the same time. I think that art is meant to push you to do new things, rather things that are easy. Granted, easy things are often the ones we choose to do, but the outcome is so much better if you try harder. That’s why I tell people who think they can’t draw anything to just sit down with a pencil and draw.

Word count: 453

No comments:

Post a Comment