About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Off to College


                Thinking about college is scary. As a freshman you think, ‘I have four years to think about it, I’ll wait till later’.  Then as a senior, you’re freaking out because you have a mere nine months before you’re sent out into the real world, without high school as a shelter anymore, and you have no clue what you want to do with your life, let alone where you want to go to college.

                Think about what you like to do, and what you’re good at. What are your favorite classes at school? I, personally, am very good at art, and I enjoy doing it very much. Pursuing a career doing something you love will benefit you in more ways than one; you’ll be good at it, and you’ll have fun doing it. Why would you want to have a job that you don’t know how to do, and, frankly, don’t even want to do?

                That’s the first crucial step. Deciding what you want to do with that talent is next. I want to take my art and become an art teacher at my own high school. Say your favorite subject is math; maybe you decide you want to be an engineer or an accountant. Think of possible jobs you can aim for that fit your strengths.

                Next, search schools that have good programs for the fields you’re interested in. You wouldn’t want to go to a school that’s known for science if you want to major in theater. You’d be wasting time and money and you’d probably be more frustrated than you were when you started.

                Saving up money for college sounds like a huge feat, but applying for scholarships can only help you, so it wouldn’t hurt to try. Your wallet and your parents’ wallets will thank you. In the end, finding the perfect school will be more important than how hard it was to get there.

Word count: 318

No comments:

Post a Comment