About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

:Forever Alone: Part Two


            This sounds really selfish and childish of me, but happy couples make me angry. It's not that they don't deserve to be happy; unless they're little freshman babies who "fall in love" with their "soul mate" after simply knowing of each other's existence for an earth-shattering five minutes.        Those who truly know what love is, even though the word is tossed around like a beach ball, deserve to be happy. Even though it upsets me. I'm only affected by it because it's something I desperately want. I'm not saying I want it because everyone else does or because so many other people are in relationships and I feel like I have to "fit in". Having someone to talk to on the phone until you both pass out, getting a "Good morning, beautiful" text when you wake up, texting them every free second you get just to let them know you miss them, hanging out just to cuddle on the couch and watch movies, just for the sake of spending time with them, those are the things I want the most.
            I feel like most teenagers take their high school relationships for granted. They get into relationships just for the sake of saying their in one, without any real attachment being present; saying "I love you" just digs them into a deeper hole and makes them look even more stupid. Not only does it make those of us, who would actually put forth an effort into a relationship, hate you, but it ruins the definition of what a real relationship is.
            I'm going out on a limb here to say that technology has really screwed us over when it comes to having a relationship with another person, whether it's intimate or among family members or between friends. Sure, texting and phone calls are fast and convenient, but it really has cut back on the time we could be spending with these people we constantly talk to, physically; texting is fine if seeing each other isn't an option.
I don't know about you guys, but if I had a boyfriend, I'd much rather talk to him face-to-face than face-to-phone screen.
            I think that technology has also changed how open we are with communicating; since we're hidden behind our phones and computers, we feel like we can say, literally, anything without the consequences of saying it to someone's face. That's pretty much the easy way out in a relationship because, sure, you're telling the other person how you really feel, but you don't trust them enough to say it to them personally? Texting can also lead to more secretive relationships which sucks. It makes it easier to cheat and hide it, lie, etc, which, obviously aren't good for stable relationships.
            I don't want to sound like a guru for teenage relationships like some sort of Dr. Phil wannabe, but I'd like to think I'm thinking more logically and realistic than some of the innocent little children, almost literally, who think they're found "the One" already. It just doesn't happen as often as they're thinking it does. If you're the type that dates someone new every week because "YOLO", then, honey, I'm sorry, but you need a reality check. And a slap in the face for making me use the word "Yolo".

Word count: 550

No comments:

Post a Comment