About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Are the Holidays Over Yet?


Happy Holidays! I love Chirstmas time, don’t get me wrong, but there are a few things that really bother me when it gets closer to the big day.

 

1.       People are RUDE. I understand that everyone is rushing out to get all those fabulous gifts on their Christmas list for their family and friends, (or for themselves, because we all know no one else could get us everything we really want) but that doesn’t make it okay for them to trample fellow shoppers or be nasty to the salespeople trying to help them out. Spending a ton of money on presents is stressful, sure. Spending money in general is stressful, but we don’t see people throwing a hissy fit in a store every single fricken time they buy something.

2.       The constant “Holiday Sale!” advertisements. At work, we had door-buster sales for Black Friday, ads sent out with almost a third of our merchandise on sale, clearanced almost the entire store, our “Something Unexpected!” commercials. Not only our store was filling the space between TV shows with repetitive slogans and jingles to advertise the “great deals” on merchandise that everyone must have for Christmas. Have you ever noticed those “must-have” Christmas toys that pop up every year? This year, they brought back the ungodly annoying Furby. Those things gave me nightmares when I was a kid because mine would. not. shut. up. We also had a pretty high demand for Easy-Bake ovens this year. Why are we bringing back all these old toys again?

3.       The instant pile-up of assignments at school. Every teacher schedules an end-of-the-unit test plus a 50-page paper and a presentation project due ON THE EXACT SAME DAY. Come on! It’s Christmas Break, not the end of the term! Their excuse is always, “You’ll forget everything if we wait to take the test after break.” Probably, yes, but cramming the night before to study for six different tests doesn’t really make for a good grade either. At least if we waited until after break, we’d have some extra time to maybe study for them. Maybe.

4.       Last-minute shoppers. This one drives me absolutely nuts because EVERYONE knows when Christmas is; couldn’t they do their shopping ahead of time? Why must they all wait until the last minute to bomb the store? It makes their gifts seem not only half-ass because their being bought on Christmas Eve right when the store is closing, but also it pisses off the store employees. (See post about New Year’s Eve…it gets better.)

 

Once Christmas Day gets here, a new round of annoyances make way.

 

5.       When your younger siblings don’t appreciate the presents they get because they’re selfish little shits. My mother spent MONTHS trying to find left-handed golf clubs for my little brother. She finally found a set and was very excited to give them to him; my parents have this thing where they like us to open the “big present” last. My brother had one gift left, his clubs, and up until then he had gotten other nice presents, too, but he apparently didn’t think they were that good. So, he started to cry. And he wouldn’t tell any of us why he was crying. My little sister also was upset because my other sister got a colorful pillow that she was jealous about. What the hell, kids?

6.       When you go over to your grandparents’ house and it’s full of screaming children. I have a very big family. At Christmas, we all cram into my grandma’s small house, thinking we’ll all fit comfortably. Nope. Not when a new bundle of joy (or multiple) are born every year and are added to the already-loud-and-chaotic family mix. The older kids, like 11 and younger but not quite a baby, like to run around with their new toy guns and yell and wrestle on the floor. The big kids, including me, just seclude ourselves in a back bedroom and watch TV to get away from the insanity. Christmas time makes me rethink having children.

I’m sure everyone else has little pet peeves around Christmas, too, so I’m not the only Scrooge around here. I hope.

 

Word count: 703

No comments:

Post a Comment