About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dye! Dye! Dye!


            I've been dyeing my hair since I was in second grade when I wanted to try doing highlights at home for the first time; my mom and I tried using the in-box cap method as opposed to going to a hair salon to get it done and I ended up with a full head of blonde hair. Let's just say, I didn't have highlights. But I did discover that I liked dyeing my hair, aside from accidentally doing it that way and having all of my hair tugged and ripped through that damn plastic cap by a flimsy plastic hook thing. That shit hurt.

            I've dyed my hair three different colors in my life: blonde, by accident, reddish brown and black, although the black was supposed to be "darkest brown", as stated on the box, but I had Asian hair at the end of the procedure. I've also color-stripped my hair once and I bleached it once, both of which I would not recommend unless absolutely necessary because it really damages your hair. Dyeing it isn't exactly super healthy for your hair either, but at least you're mixing essential oils into it that help it somewhat.

            Since I've been dyeing my hair for about ten years now, I can safely say I've had enough experience to tell you what to do and what NOT to do when trying to dye your hair at home.

1. Make sure your hair is dirty when you dye or bleach it. I know that sounds gross, but the color adheres to your hair better when it's not clean; because of this, the color might also come out darker, so you might not have to leave it in as long. At least you know it'll work out right if you know you haven't showered for a day or so.

2. Wear a shirt you don't mind getting ruined when you're dyeing. Applying the dye or bleach can get messy, especially if you're doing it all yourself or if my mother is doing it; she tends to squirt the stuff all over my back and shoulders and my ears and everywhere else on my physical person. Wear the gloves that come in the box, too. The dye stains more than just your hair and it's tough to get out. It looked like I had bruises when I dyed my hair black.

3. I recommend using Garnier Nutrisse hair color; it smells good and it's not too bad for your hair. Mix the dye according to the directions in the box. Apply the dye to your part first. That's the place that's actually hardest to get colored and the most noticeable, believe it or not, because, obviously, that's where your hair is growing back in (if you're re-coloring or dyeing a different color), so that section of hair is lighter (or darker); your natural hair will absorb the dye no matter what color you're doing because it isn't exposed to any chemicals yet, unless you're going from black to blonde or something, in which case you'd be bleaching, not dyeing. Once your part is colored, put your hair up (I recommend with a clip) except for a section at the base of your neck and work your way up from there. If you were to start at the top and go down, you might miss spots underneath your hair; that's why it's best to work in sections, too, as opposed to just squirting the whole bottle on your head and rubbing it in like shampoo. Since you're using a clip, it's easier to let sections or hair down so you can keep applying up; make sure you start at your scalp and work your way out to the ends. Once all the dye is applied, (sometimes two bottles are necessary, depending on how much hair you have) give yourself a little scalp massage and work it all in, making sure you didn't miss any spots and then pile it on the top of your head. Sit for about 15-20 minutes,

4. When you're rinsing the dye out, get your hair wet first, and work your fingers through it one more time with the dye still in, just to make sure you got everywhere. Trust me, you don't want to go through all of that and realize that you missed a section of hair once it's washed and dried. Rinse it, and when the water runs clear, the dye is out.

5. CONDITION THE HELL OUT OF IT. Your hair is very porous since it's been exposed to harsh chemicals, which means it'll be very brittle and dry if you don't condition it. The box comes with a packet of conditioner, but I always use more just to be safe. Drench your hair in it and keep it in for about 10 minutes, 15-20 to be safe. Sometimes I actually get out of the shower to let it condition and then I get back in to rinse it. When you rinse, make sure you're using cool water instead of hot because it'll close up your hair, trapping the conditioner inside which is what you want.

6. If you're planning on styling right after dyeing, I recommend not using too much heat, so not a lot of blow drying or straightening or curling, at least not right away. Your hair just endured a lot, don't overwork it.

Word count: 902

No comments:

Post a Comment