About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Snow Days vs. Two-Hour Delays


            I prefer two-hour delays over half days and snow days. I used to like snow days the best until they decided to have us make them up throughout or at the end of the school year; that's honestly ridiculous if you ask me. We can't control the weather so why should we have to make the days up? Teachers can just eliminate things from their lesson plans for all we care; I doubt anyone would mind, I don't know, missing a test or two because of an unexpected snow day.

            I like two-hour delays because I get to sleep in. I don't think anyone but high school and college students understand how needed more sleep is. Honestly, younger grades should be the ones starting school at 8 in the morning because they have much more energy so they will easily get over their sleepiness in the morning. My brother and sister, for example, are in fifth and first grade, and after they're awake for about five minutes, they're ready to go. My sister and I are pretty much dead for the first three hours or so after we get up in the morning because we both end up staying awake until about 1 in the morning and have to wake up around 6:30 every day. I think that high school should start at 9 and elementary and middle school should start at 8. They shouldn't start and get out at the same time because that creates conflicts for parents who have kids at two or more separate schools; they'd have to be in three places at once!

            Another reason two-hour delays are better than snow days is that we don't have to make them up. As I mentioned before, having to make up snow days is a drag. For us seniors, we don't have to worry about them taking up our summertime because we're done at graduation, but we still have to go to the damn make-up days they decided to schedule during the year. I was hoping that we'd have enough snow days to go over into the summer so my sister would still have to go to school while I was at home sleeping all day; I think it'd be hilarious. At least I still get out five-or-so days before she does.

            Two-hour delays are awesome because classes are so much shorter, even shorter than on our regular half days. On half days, we don't have to incorporate lunch into the shortened day, so classes are around 40-45 minutes each. On a two-hour-delay day, we still have to fit four lunch periods in there, so classes are 30-35 minutes each which is awesome. That's especially awesome on those lucky days when tests are scheduled, because there's no way there would be enough time to take a test without being rushed, so, naturally, teachers should just postpone, or even cancel, it.

            I still thoroughly enjoy half days, and delays are always a pleasant surprise. I also really like those special days when a big storm's a-brewin', and the Superintendent decides that the schools need to dismiss early just to ensure the kids get home safe before there's about 50 feet of snow on the ground. Just kidding, but it's still pretty awesomely unexpected and it makes the day better. And since we already were at school for a designated amount of time, we don't have to make those days up either. Sweet!

Word count: 575 

No comments:

Post a Comment