About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Cough, Cough


            
            It's coming onto flu season, which means lots of runny noses, coughing attacks, and people blessing the lord when you spray snot all over the place. I think the most awkward thing about flu season is when you're hacking your lungs out in the middle of class. It always happens to hit when the class is during silent reading or a test or something. As you're sitting there, heaving and wheezing and panting, everyone else in the room sits there silently until someone speaks up as asks if you're okay. Does it sound like I'm okay? It’s bad enough that I'm over here dying. I'd much rather die coughing than have you ask me that question. I don’t know for sure why having a coughing attack in class bothers me so much. Maybe it’s because I’d rather hack up my lungs in private. Or, at least not as loudly or disruptive.
           
            I also try really hard not to sneeze in class. Of course, I always have to sneeze when the class is quiet, naturally. I’ve observed some nasty experiences with other people sneezing in class before, not to mention extremely messy. I’ve also noticed that the “cool” kids have everyone praising the lord whenever they sneeze in class. It’s like their hearts stopped longer than a fraction of a second and they were about to die because they sneezed. Now, the average souls like me, if I were to actually let it go in class, don’t get any sort of “bless you!” very much. It’s also very difficult to hold back a sneeze without making some kind of honking noise or just looking stupid as your whole body twitches with the force of it. Or, you could accidentally let go at the other end…not me, personally. But I’ve heard it happen and I felt bad for the kid.

Word count: 317

No comments:

Post a Comment