About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Palisades Park


            I’ve just recently ventured out to the Palisades and let me tell you, it’s a very beautiful place. As I was there I kept thinking, Damn, why don’t I have a camera or my sketchbook here with me? I couldn’t think of a better time to go than in the fall either, with the leaves both still on the trees and creating a crunchy blanket covering the trails and rocks. The paths twist and curve around and over the hills and between the tall trees, through deep valleys and along a sandy riverbank. The stream-like trails had the occasional curl of tree root sticking out of the earth, creating a dangerous entanglement for my ankles, but I managed. The moss-covered rocks hidden by the slick leaves didn’t help my footing either.

            The bank along the river was a mixture of coarse and fine sand and pebbles, miniature shells and rounded stones, scratched, broken glass shards and rusted metal pieces scattered amongst the weeds and sticks. Despite the dullness of color on the beach, it was beautiful. The sound of the current washing up onto the sandbars was peaceful and calming; the wind whisked my hair in tendrils around my face. I couldn’t help but watch the dogs run around, splashing in the water, trotting in the sand chasing sticks and Frisbees.

            My favorite spot on the section of trail I explored was in the center of a valley at a small stone bridge with a thin stream flowing underneath it. The water tinkled over the smooth stones. The trees surrounding the shallow chasm looked abnormally tall and slender from the bottom as I glanced up; I watched as the leaves broke from their stick arms and floated in the light breeze to join the others resting on the valley floor. The wind seemed to sing rather than whistle, mixing up the leaf blanket into spirals. The stone ridges up the valley walls were coated with moss and foliage, filling the space with a mixture of color and texture.

            At the top of the hill sat a rock gazebo structure, looking out to the rippling river. It jutted out past the edge of the cliff face with trees filling in the space blow, creating a web of branches. The cliffs on the other side of the river wove in and out of the rock like an unevenly cut basket, some pieces extending further out than others. The tops were roofed by forest and small wooden cabins and houses sprinkled among the trees.

            If you’re looking for a calm, pretty place to get away for a while and go for a walk, the Palisades is the place to go. Make sure you bring your good walking shoes and a camera.

Word count: 471

No comments:

Post a Comment