About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sometimes I Wish I Was an Only Child...Maybe


It kind of sucks being the oldest child. The oldest of four, to be exact. You'd think that it'd be awesome to boss the kids around, tell 'em what to do, take charge. But, no. I actually get in trouble for a lot of things, especially when I try to discipline my younger siblings when they're beating each other with plastic toys and various other items. "You're not their parent so you shouldn't be the one disciplining them," so my mother says. It's kind of hard not to intervene when they're screaming at each other when I'm trying to do homework or something. My brother thinks it's funny to simply hit my little sister in the face because he finds it funny when she cries. I, however, do not like it when she wails at the top of her lungs, face purple and fists clenched at her sides, stomping down the hallway. I mean, yeah, she's six, but she should know better. My brother should also know that I could beat his ass at any time for making her scream like that. He skates on thin ice a little too much.

            My other sister is a year younger than me. That might sound great because we're so close in age and we must have so much in common, right? Wrong. My sister is probably the complete opposite of me. Even though we have some similarities, we tend to disagree on things more often than not. We're also highly competitive about everything. If one of us gets something really awesome, like a new phone, for example, the other must get the same thing or it turns into World War III. The playing field must always be even or else it's on. Since we're so close in age, our parents tend to compare us a lot, too. That hits a nerve occasionally, especially when one of us has done something better or worse than the other. Apparently, we can't have any of the same friends either because we end up fighting for attention, and then the friend would have to choose sides and it just becomes a big mess. I always wondered what it would be like to have a twin, but since my sister and I are so close already, I don't think I want to know.

            Having younger siblings isn't always bad. Sometimes it's nice sticking up for the little ones when one of their friends is being a pest, or being there for my sister when she's having boy troubles. I've seen movies where the little brother/sister sneaks into their big sibling's room during a thunderstorm or after a bad dream, and I always wanted them to do that because it would show that they trust me to take care of them. I feel like a role model for them because I'm the oldest, and I think it's cool that they look up to me sometimes; not so much my other sister because, well, she's actually a little taller than me...Regardless, even though having so many siblings is tough, I still love them, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.
           
Word count: 521
              

No comments:

Post a Comment