About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Gotta Love My Job


            I love my job. I work at Gordmans, which mostly harbors clothing, but we sell a lot more than just that. It’s pretty damn cheap, too, which makes everything a win-win. I really enjoy working there because my fellow associates are really friendly and fun to be around. I always check the schedule on days I work to see which of my “work buddies”, as I call them, I’m going to be basically hanging out with that day. I work in the fitting rooms which is basically the store’s little hang-out nook. All my buddies filter in throughout the shift and we engage in hilarious discussions, which sometimes get us into trouble if a manager on duty happens to venture in at the wrong moment. I’m kind of crazy, so I provide the witty outbursts most of the time. I think it’s pretty cool how welcoming everyone is there, and I’ve made an awful lot of new friends of many ages in my short eight months there.

            Gordmans is a very dangerous place to work because, since it’s my favorite store, I tend to blow my entire paycheck there. And, since I’m stuck in the fitting room, I see pretty much every article of clothing that flows through that store. I don’t even have to leave my workspace to do my shopping because I see so many cute things as I’m organizing and putting things back. I think I’ve purchased about nine or ten pairs of jeans and possibly a dozen shirts, four wallets, three purses, about ten bags of gummy bears, and five pairs of shoes in the last three months. This may sound like a huge hole in my pocket waiting to happen, but the cheap prices combined with my 20%-off discount have actually saved me a lot.

            I think the greatest thing I’ve gotten out of working at Gordmans is my increased social skills. I used to be a really shy, quiet person, and getting a job where I had to talk to people freaked me out. Then one day they sprang the concept of having to answer the phone on me and I about shit in my pants. Now that I think about it, I’m glad they did that. I’m much more open to conversing with people now, whether I know them personally or not. I can have a full conversation with a complete stranger while they’re waiting for someone to try on clothes and have it not feel awkward or forced. It has also helped me be social more outside of the workplace as well; I’ll strike up conversations with people pretty much anywhere, with anybody willing to talk. I thank Gordmans for my new confidence in being a social butterfly instead of a hermit like I used to be.

Word count: 473

No comments:

Post a Comment