About Me

My photo
I'm Emily. :) I'm artsy, obsessed with music, and crazy once you get to know me.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

I'm Goin' Truck Shopping


            I've had two cars in my life already. My first one was a white, '88 Olds Mobile that my parents gave me for my 16th birthday. The thing was a complete junker: the muffler was noisy; the driver's side seatbelt didn't work; it stalled a few times when gas got too low; the passenger window was broken; my mom forgot it was parked behind her Tahoe once and backed into it, crushing the bumper pretty badly. Although the car was a piece of shit, I loved it because it got me from A to B. Most of the time. And it was my car, I could go wherever I wanted whenever I wanted to. Eventually, I got tired of the thing and passed it to my sister because I got another car.

            My second car is a '96 silvery blue Olds Aurora. This car was the first big payment I ever made; I had been working all summer and I wanted a newer, nicer car. Unfortunately, I wasn't making Bill Gates' salary, so I had to settle for a Craigslist find. Little did I know at the time that you could go to a dealership and have your car completely checked out for like $40; if I had known, I would've gotten that car looked at because it had a lot of problems. The car itself was $1000, and I've had to spend at least double that in repairs over the last 16 months.

            I realize I might sound crazy for saying this, but I really want to get another new car now. I don't want to go for a Craigslist piece of junk. I can't really afford a brand new vehicle either, but I want to get something that will last me more than a year and a half without croaking on me. Since I have more than just a summer job now and I'm continuously making money, it'll be less deadly for me to buy one than it would have been when I bought my Aurora.

            For a long time now I've wanted to get a truck. I hated having a small car, especially when I would be waiting to turn onto a busy street and some huge SUV or something would pull up next to me, blocking my view of the street so I'd have to wait twice as long for a time to go. Plus, a girl driving a huge-ass truck looks pretty BA if you ask me. Or, ask my best friend Kalin; she has one. She was pretty much my inspiration for getting a truck in the first place. The only thing that sucks about a truck is they're pretty big gas hogs. Oh well, they're sexy cars regardless.

            My parents are trying to convince me not to get my dream truck. My dad says it's too expensive and I'll be in way over my head. The thing is though, I don't like having to worry about a new problem with my car every two seconds anymore. I want to be able to go on a road trip without it overheating or beeping at me for the oil pressure being too low, or the orange "service engine soon" light to flash on every time I start the ignition. I want a nice car that can last me a long time.

            I also want to use this truck as a way to be more independent and grown up. It sounds kind of silly, but I haven't really done any "adult" thing yet since my birthday, and I've wanted a truck for a while now. I think my parents can give me feedback and everything all they want, guidance isn't bad either, but I don't think they should completely try to shun the idea from my head. Eventually my current cart is going to croak on me, too, and I don't really want to fork over thousands of dollars a month on a piece of shit when I can spend that much over a few years for something a lot nicer.

Word count: 677

No comments:

Post a Comment